Introduction about the marriage counselor
Marriage counseling, also known as couple’s therapy. This type of counseling comes under psychotherapy. Couple therapy also helps couples of all types to identify and resolve different conflicts and improve their relationships. Some of the facts about the psychotherapist london has been discussed in this article.
Benefits of the couple therapy:
1. The counseling normally helps the couples in taking some time out of their busy lives and focus on themselves.
2. The marriage counselor acts as the mediator between the spouses. He/she promotes healthy and effective communication. It is particularly helpful for those couples who really want to improve their relationships but are not sure how to achieve the same.
3. The counselor can effectively analyze the behavioral patterns of the spouses which may lead to conflict. After identifying the faulty behavioral patterns /the couple can work on modifying them.
4. Effective communication is an important aspect of any marriage. In some of the cases, the couples lose their ability to share their feelings with one another. Counseling can help the couple in improving their communication.
Like the other type of counseling, the spouses must agree to marriage counseling. The couple should work on the marriage and address some of the problems which have arisen. Practically the marriage cannot be saved overnight and it may take a couple of sessions to really know the underlying issue and start working on them.
Warning signs for the couples who need a couple therapy:
1. The absence of communication is one of the major problems a marriage can have. The partners don’t talk and share their thoughts, ideas, and experiences with their spouse.
2. The couples who fight with each other in small matters.
3. In a healthy marriage, the couples used to talk with each other on every small matter be it on finance, health, or any other matter. But sometimes couples are afraid to talk with each other.
4. In case the couples do not reciprocate the affection of the partner and ignore them.
5. In a healthy marriage, transparency has to be there. Normally confidentiality is much different from privacy. So, when the couple begins to keep secrets and avoid sharing their information, experiences, and thoughts with each other, then their marriage might get into trouble and need counseling.
6. In some cases, if any third person comes in between the couples, then their marriage is said to be trouble.
The number of counseling sessions usually varies for different couples. However, most of the therapists normally suggest weekly counseling for at least three months. For a healthy marriage, it is important to forget the past but at the same time, the couples should not repeat the mistakes of the past.